The Blackmores Sydney Runnning Festival is nearly on our doorstep, and this Sunday 16th September, people will be participating in events ranging from a 4km walk through to a 42.2km marathon.
Blackmores Flexagil and Sydney Sports & Orthopaedic Physiotherapy will again be hosting a massage tent in the Festival Village. A team of physiotherapists and massage therapists will be on hand to provide free massages to race participants.
Here are my top three last-minute preparation tips for the big day.
1. Preventing blisters is definitely better than cure.
- Make sure you wear shoes and socks that fit well, and always be careful with new shoes. Get them fitted well at a running shop if you can. The type of shoe is probably less important than the fit, which needs to be perfect.
- Try blister-free socks, as the synthetic material takes the moisture away from the skin and helps to keep the foot dry.
- Cover up any problem areas or potential problem areas with Vaseline or second skin to create a protective shield between your skin and the sock.
- Try using antiperspirants on your feet for a few days before the run. One study showed that this strategy was successful in reducing blisters in runners.
2. To avoid chafing, make sure you don’t wear anything new, including shoes, socks, and undies.
- And none of these should have raised seams that can rub on your skin.
- Remember to apply plenty of Vaseline or something similar to the underarms, nipples and inner thigh.
3. When you’ve gone to all the trouble and training to prepare for your run, don’t forget the sun.
- Remember to cover up with a good sunblock on all exposed surfaces on the day.
- If you forget this, it may not be your quads that are the sorest part of your body the next day.
Click here for our Top 10 Marathon Recovery Tips.
Contact the experts in running injury assessment and management at Sydney Sports & Orthopaedic Physiotherapy, on 9252 5770 or visit www.ssop.com.au