World Oceans Day, held every June 8th, is the United Nations-recognised day of ocean celebration and action.
People all over our blue planet organise celebrations – which can be a huge event in your community, a special announcement, or anything in between – to support action to protect the ocean.
This year, the theme is Healthy oceans, healthy planet, and is targeted towards stopping plastic pollution.
How can you get involved?
With World Oceans Day just around the corner there are some fantastic things that we can all do to action for the ocean.
- Take the better bag challenge and choose not to use disposable plastic bags for a whole year
- Clean up your favourite oceanside (or river or lakeside) spot
- Host your very own screening of Revolution, a feature documentary from the director of Sharkwater about opening your eyes, changing the world and fighting for something
Visit the World Oceans Day website
for more ways to celebrate our oceans
The Marine Stewardship Council
(MSC) is the world's leading certification and ecolabelling program for sustainable seafood.
We asked them a few questions about how their certification program works and why we should choose MSC certified.
How does MSC measure sustainability?
MSC standard is based on three core principles:
- The population of fish is healthy and robust
- The impact on the marine ecosystem is reduced (habitat and other marine animals)
- The fishery is well managed
MSC is considered the most credible
ecolabel out there for wild-capture fishing.
Why choose seafood, why not go vegan if you love the ocean?
More than a billion people rely on seafood for their main source of protein and mostly in the developing world
More than 500 million livelihoods depend on the seafood industry mostly in the developing world
Wild-caught sustainable seafood has the lowest carbon footprint of all animal proteins (Only beaten by eggs) and is less than half that of cheese production.
By choosing and demanding sustainable seafood you’re creating incentives for more fisheries to become sustainable ensuring the oceans stay healthy and jobs are secured.
Did you know?.... Some awesome facts from MSC
- MSC has over 221 certified sustainable seafood products in Australia? Use their product finder to locate your favourite
- 10% of global wild caught seafood now comes from fisheries certified under the MSC Fisheries Standard
- The very first MSC certified sustainable fishery in the world was the Western Australia Rock Lobster. The fishery is celebrating 15 years of certification this year with this video