Maintaining dental health and oral hygiene is imperative for overall wellness, and may be important for helping to prevent disease. A person’s oral health can say a lot about their general health, so it is important to look out for symptoms such as bleeding gums, ulcers, excessively bad breath and pain of any kind, as they may indicate a need for treatment. Regular brushing and flossing is the most important thing you can do to prevent problems such as dental caries and dental plaque. Health professionals recommend brushing after every meal and flossing at least once per day. Sugary snacks are best avoided, and regular check-ups are a must.
There are some natural remedies that may help to play a role as dental health protectors. Check out the list below:
- Vitamin D – Well known for its effect on calcium absorption for improving bone health, the sunshine vitamin may also shine a ray of light to help prevent tooth loss as well. Vitamin D taken at levels to prevent osteoporosis may also help to prevent tooth density loss.
- Probiotics – Probiotics, or the “good” bacteria that helps to maintain digestive health, may also help to prevent dental cavities.
- Clove essential oil - Evidence suggests that clove essential oil is an effective reliever of dental pain.
Preliminary research suggests the supplements below may be of benefit, although more research is needed to know conclusively
- CoQ10 – supplementing with (as well as directly applying) CoQ10 may help reduce periodontitis, or inflammation around the tooth.
- Lycopene –this red pigment found in tomatoes and other vegetables may be helpful for treating gingivitis, or gum inflammation.
- Neem – An ingredient in some natural toothpaste, Neem is a herbal medicine with a long history of use in India. It has been shown to have anti-plaque and antibacterial properties.
- Pomegranate –pomegranate extract may help with dental plaque and periodontitis (inflammation around the tooth).
- Propolis – Propolis is a resin produced by bees when they are making their hives, and it is popular as a health supplement, gel and mouth wash. Propolis may help to relieve dental pain and plaque formation, and reduce oral bacteria, and gum inflammation.
References available on request