10 second health check for men
There are a few things we can safely assume about men's health: guys tend to store fat around the stomach when their lifestyle is unhealthy; guys hate having a fat gut; the rate of overweight men in Australia is one of the highest in the world and abdominal fat is dangerous to your health.
There are a few things we can safely assume about men's health:
- Guys tend to store fat around the stomach when their lifestyle is unhealthy
- Guys hate having a fat gut
- The rate of overweight men in Australia is one of the highest in the world and
- Abdominal fat is dangerous to your health
OK, nothing new there, but what can you do about it?
Awareness is the first step in addressing any problem, be it health or otherwise. And because some men don't like to see their doctor, here's an easy body-fat check you can perform yourself. There's no scales, tape measures, callipers or complicated calculations required, and it could save your life. I call it the "see your toes" test, and it will only take 10 seconds of your time.
The "See your toes" Test
- Remove your shoes
- Stand with your back against a wall
- Make sure your heels and upper back are touching the wall
- Look down (without peeling your upper back off the wall) and try to see your toes
You do see your toes - Great. It's likely you have a healthy level of body fat, or an extremely long neck. Just remember that being skinny doesn't necessarily mean being healthy, so make sure to follow a healthy diet and exercise regime to maintain your low level of body fat.
You don't see your toes - Don't worry, your toes are still there. But you may be carrying a little more fat around your waist than is desirable for good health. Time to take action by eating better, drinking less alcohol and stepping up your level of physical activity.
What were your results?