The Blackmores difference
All nutrients are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The following provides additional information on some special nutrients important during pregnancy
and breastfeeding, that are in Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold.
– According to guidelines in Australia* this product contains 500 μg of folic acid, as it is recommended that women of childbearing age take 400-500 μg of folic acid per day for at least one month before pregnancy and for the first 3 months of pregnancy.
*Guidelines for preventive activities in general practice, 8th edn. East Melbourne: Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, 2012.
Requirement for iodine is increased during the whole pregnancy, especially the first 20 weeks.
Australian women are typically not receiving enough iodine. The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) recommends that pregnant and breast-feeding women take an iodine supplement containing 150 μg*daily.
*NHMRC Public Statement: Iodine supplementation for pregnant and breastfeeding women. NHMRC, 2010
- Approximately one quarter of pregnant women report getting constipated when taking high doses of supplemental iron. That is why Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold contains a low-constipation, low-nausea, gentle on the tummy form of iron.
Omega-3 fatty acids
- During pregnancy there can be an increased sensitivity to tastes, especially in the first trimester. Odourless fish oil means pregnant women can get the benefits of omega-3s without the fishy aftertaste.
B group vitamins
- B vitamins support cellular energy production, with vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B5 all involved in cellular energy production. Vitamins B2 and B12 help the body use folic acid.
- Vitamin D supports the development of healthy bones and teeth. A review of nutrient intakes in pregnant Australian women suggested that dietary intakes were below recommended levels for vitamin D, while surveys of Australian neonates have shown approximately 40-57% of neonates have insufficient vitamin D levels
Zinc, vitamins C & D and betacarotene
for immune health support.
Visit the Blackmores Health hub
for more on Pregnancy & Preconception