The benefits of sleep for your health
Sleep is essential for good health and general well-being throughout your life. Getting enough good quality sleep, at the right times supports your mental and physical health, along with improving your quality of life.
Sleep is not a fixed state - while you sleep your brain is quite active and moves through a series of stages which aid in refreshing the mind, and repairing the body.
Here’s what happens while you are sleeping:
When you’re asleep your brain is entering information it has learned through the day into your memory, and forming new pathways to help you learn and remember. This is also the time that it re-establishes communication between different parts of the brain
When you’re sleeping, your body grows, repairs and heals its tissues, including your heart and blood vessels
Sleep helps maintain a healthy balance of hormones – including those that control appetite, blood sugar levels, growth & development
Sleep regulates the function of your immune system
What if you don’t get enough sleep?
The average adults needs around 8 hours of good quality sleep per night. A lack of sleep can lead to:
- Poor concentration and mood changes
- Trouble making decisions, solving problems, & remembering things
- Reduced awareness of the environment and situation
- Difficulties coping with change, and controlling emotions and behaviour
- Reduced work efficiency, and loss of motivation
How much sleep you really need
Expert-backed tips for your best sleep yet
How to get a better night’s sleep
If you’re struggling to get all the shut-eye you need – try some of these tips…
- Get a bed-time routine – try to go to bed, and get up each morning at the same time
- Avoid stimulants like alcohol, cigarettes & caffeine close to bed-time
- Make sure your >bedroom is a good environment for sleep – ensure you have a comfortable mattress, that your bedroom is a good temperature, and that it is nice & dark
- A combination of the herbs hops & passionflower- traditionally used to help calm, relax and to relieve nervous restlessness, mild anxiety and disturbed sleep due to an overactive mind