is an extremely nutritious food that is a great option for snacks due to its high protein content as well as magnesium.
Both of these nutrients are important for blood sugar control and assist in improving your sense of satisfaction after food and providing a sustained release of energy.
See larger image
Start your golden nuggets the night before by preparing it up to step four of the recipe.
When you’re ready, have your dips nearby or your salad bowls ready and get baking so you can enjoy your crunchy, healthy nuggets as soon as they come out of the oven.
- ¾ cup plain yoghurt or plain coconut yoghurt
- 2 tbsp or more water
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3cm chunk ginger, peeled and chopped in half
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- ½ tsp honey or maple syrup
- ½ fresh green chilli
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1½ tbsp curry powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 400g plain tempeh
How to make
- To prepare your tempeh for marinating, place it in a saucepan of salted water and bring it to the boil, boiling it for 8 minutes. Once done, strain and allow your tempeh to cool slightly
- Place all of the marinade ingredients into your blender or food processor and blitz until a smooth, creamy consistency is found
- Cut your block of tempeh into 16 evenly sized cubes and transfer them to a snug dish that the marinade can be poured into. Pour over the blended marinade and then cover the dish with glad wrap or a lid before leaving the tempeh to soak overnight, flipping them once throughout the 24-hour period
- When ready to cook, heat your oven to 190 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper. Transfer the tempeh onto your baking tray and then place the tray in the oven to bake for 25 minutes or until your tempeh is crispy and golden, flipping them halfway through. You can also pour more marinade on them half way through if you have some left over
- Once done, season well and enjoy your nuggets with your favourite dips such as hummus, tzatziki or spinach dip or even as an addition to your salad or bowl
- Store your nuggets in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days
Click on image to download & print
Roberta of Naturo Medico is a naturopathic practitioner who specialises in preventative care and women’s health. From her Melbourne-based clinic, Roberta sees women of all ages wanting to meet their own health goals and assists them on their path with personalised treatments specific to their needs.
Alongside practice, Roberta shares healthful and nutrient-rich recipes with her readers who inspire her to continue educating on what health and wellbeing means and how it can be achieved.
on Instagram for more healthy eating inspiration!