Chia seeds aren’t just for breakfast puddings and smoothies! Chia seeds are the perfect way to thicken sauces and dressings at the same time as boosting the amount of nutrients you get from your food.
By adding Blackmores Raw Chia Seeds with Nature Boost Vital Nutrients
to your food, you are ensuring you are getting an extra dose of B1, B5, vitamin C, omega 3 and fibre to support your wellbeing and overall health.
READ MORE: The benefits of chia seeds
This sauce is a great thing to have in the fridge throughout the week. It is the perfect accompaniment to some corn chips or chopped vegetable sticks; a good substitute for cheese when you want to drizzle something over homemade nachos or even as a dressing to a crunchy green salad.
It’s spicy, creamy, completely raw and 100% vegan making it a versatile sauce suited to most people’s needs.
If your blender or food processor is not high powered, soak your cashews for longer to soften them more so you get the same creamy and smooth texture.
Cashew, chia & jalapeno sauce
Makes approximately 2 cups
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- A generous handful of coriander, including stalks
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 heaped tablespoons Blackmores Raw Chia Seeds with Nature Boost Vital Nutrients
How to make
- Place the soaked cashews, water, jalapeño, onion, coriander, lime juice, salt and pepper to a blender or food processor and blitz together until it becomes a smooth and creamy sauce. If you need to add more liquid, add one tablespoon of water at a time until the mixture becomes smooth
- Transfer the sauce to a jar or tub and stir in the chia seeds until they are evenly mixed through. Set the sauce aside for 10 minutes or so to allow the chia seeds to thicken the sauce
- Serve alongside some corn chips, on top of a salad, with a side of baked sweet potatoes or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week
Roberta of Naturo Medico is a Naturopathic Practitioner who specialises in preventative care and women’s health. From her Melbourne-based clinic, Roberta sees women of all ages wanting to meet their own health goals and assists them on their path with personalised treatments specific to their needs.
Alongside practice, Roberta shares healthful and nutrient-rich recipes with her readers who inspire her to continue educating on what health and wellbeing means and how it can be achieved.
on Instagram for more healthy eating inspiration!