Let’s start with flavour. Above all, this granola was created to taste delicious and be a little bit decadent.
The deep caramel taste of maple syrup combines with the chewy pieces of date and ginger to create the taste of sticky date pudding whilst the touch of cinnamon, ginger and orange zest give this granola it’s touch of spice. And decadence? The dark chocolate that pops up throughout will take care of that.
The first glory ingredient is pecans. Pecans are buttery and rich flavoured nuts with a number of health benefits aside from creating happiness with their nostalgic taste of pecan pie. They are a good source of vitamin E as well as B vitamins
which make these nuts the perfect addition to the daily diet for supporting overall wellbeing, energy and metabolism.
The second ingredient in focus is dates. Dates are naturally sweet and caramel-like in flavour. Their fibre
content makes them useful in keeping your digestion regular and smooth. They also contain vitamin A and beta-carotene which protect against free radicals and give your skin the glow. The gooey, sweet chunks provide little pops of caramel chewiness, a texture that is required for a well-balanced granola mixture.
The spices warm this granola right up and the coconut flakes, almonds, crystallised ginger and chocolate all provide additional nutritional benefits to help you start your day right.
Download the recipe
Sticky date & ginger granola
dairy-free, vegan, refined sugar free, gluten-free option
Makes 1 large batch or 4 small jars for gifts
- 3 cups rolled oats, gluten free if required
- 1 cup raw pecans, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup high-quality maple syrup
- Grated zest of 2 fresh oranges
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup dates, roughly chopped
- ½ cup raw almond flakes
- ⅓ cup dried ginger, crystallised or non-crystallised
- ½ cup vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped
How to make
- Heat your oven to 175 degrees and line a large baking tray with baking paper
- Combine the oats, pecans, poppy seeds, salt, cinnamon and ground ginger in a large mixing bowl. Then quickly whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup and orange zest and add it to the mixing bowl stirring everything together until everything is well combined. Spread the mixture out onto your baking tray in one even, flat layer and place into the oven to bake for 30 minutes, stirring half way through
- After 30 minutes, add the coconut flakes, dates, almond flakes and dried ginger to the tray, toss everything again and return it to the oven to cook for a further 10 minutes until everything is nice and golden
- Remove the granola from the oven and allow it to completely cool before mixing through the dark chocolate pieces. Once completed, you can transfer it to jars or a container to be stored for up to 10 days
Download the recipe
Roberta of Naturo Medico is a Naturopathic Practitioner who specialises in preventative care and women’s health. From her Melbourne-based clinic, Roberta sees women of all ages wanting to meet their own health goals and assists them on their path with personalised treatments specific to their needs.
Alongside practice, Roberta shares healthful and nutrient-rich recipes with her readers who inspire her to continue educating on what health and wellbeing means and how it can be achieved.
on Instagram for more healthy eating inspiration!