Leadership: A series of firsts
Maurice Blackmore's (1906-1977) belief in the health-giving properties of herbs and minerals led him to develop a whole system of healthcare based on naturopathic principles. His views on natural health, preventive medicine, the environment and recycling were nothing short of radical in the 1930s, and his work opened the doors to new ways of treating illness and maximising health.
Maurice was also responsible for starting one of Australia's first health food stores in Brisbane in 1938 and he worked with colleagues and friends to establish the first naturopathic colleges and professional associations in the country. His beliefs are still valid today and his teachings are incorporated into the training programs of many natural health practitioners.
Maurice Blackmore’s son, Marcus, took the reins of the business in 1975. As Blackmores’ Chairman, Marcus has furthered the vision established by his father and made Blackmores a world leader in natural health, all the while committed to the company’s founding principles.
Blackmores’ unrivalled heritage is at the heart of who we are today and guides our holistic approach to health and wellbeing. We are proud to be pioneers in natural healthcare and remain committed to delivering new and innovative products, reliable health information and unsurpassed quality to our customers.
Over 80 years of Blackmores
- June | Best Employer: Blackmores is recognised as one of Australia’s Best Employers by the prestigious Aon Best Employer awards.
- May | Global Therapeutics: Blackmores acquires Global Therapeutics, Australia's leading Chinese herbal medicine company which includes Fusion Health and Oriental Botanicals.
- May | Rangsit University MoU: Blackmores Institute and Thailand's Rangsit University sign a memorandum of understanding to develop pharmacy education programs.
- April | Australia Week in China: Blackmores participates in an extensive range of activities at Australia Week in China, including the launch of Blackmores support of Fan Bing Bing’s Heart Ali charity project which was presided over by Mrs Lucy Turnbull AO, wife of Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.
- Jan | Australian Open: Blackmores sponsors the Australian Open and runs the successful ‘Wellbeing Oasis’ on precinct.
- Jan | Infant Nutrition Range launch: Blackmores in partnership with Tatura launches the Blackmores Infant Nutrition Range at a special event featuring CEO Christine Holgate, Bega Executive Chairman Barry Irvin; Trade Minister The Hon Andrew Robb AO; and Chinese tennis star and Global Blackmores Ambassador Li Na.
- Blackmores is honoured with numerous awards, including:
- Reader’s Digest Most Trusted Brand (Australia, Malaysia & Singapore) in the Vitamins & Supplements category, making it the seventh consecutive year we have received this esteemed accolade in Australia
- Brand Laureate/ Brand Leadership Awards for (1) Nutraceutical Man of the Year (Marcus Blackmore) and (2) Best Brand in Wellness (Malaysia)
- National Export Award
- Australian Packaging Covenant High Performer Award
- Hong Kong Business Excellence Award
- AC&E Award for UX, Interface & Navigation Design (website redesign)
- Australian Business Awards for (1) Product Excellence (PAW) and (2) Employer of Choice (PAW)
- Australian Growth Company Awards for (1) Health & Life Sciences Growth Company and (2) Women in Leadership (CEO Christine Holgate)
- Auscham-Wespac Australia-China Business Award
- Dec | Flagship store: Blackmores brings wellbeing to life with the launch of the first Australian Blackmores Flagship Store at Westfield Bondi Junction – the ultimate destination for wellbeing, a place to empower and inspire you to live a healthier life naturally.
- Nov | CEO of the Year awards: Blackmores CEO Christine Holgate is named CEO of the Year by CEO Magazine. She is the first woman to receive this award. Christine is also named CEO of the Year by the Daily Telegraph and recognised in the top 100 Women of Influence in Australia.
- Nov | Australian Recycling Label: Blackmores proudly becomes one of the first companies to adopt the new Australian Recycling Label, launched by Planet Ark
- Oct | Blackmores Community Open Day: More than 4,000 people visit the Blackmores’ Warriewood Campus in Sydney to enjoy activities ranging from health talks to green-living workshops to help support 25+ local community organisations.
- Oct | Kalbe Blackmores Nutrition in Indonesia: Blackmores signs a joint venture with Kalbe Pharma, one of the largest healthcare companies in South East Asia, to facilitate entry into the Indonesian market.
- Oct | Blackmores Institute Symposium: The event, ‘Translating Research Into Practice', is a sell-out amongst pharmacy and general practice delegates.
- Sep | Blackmores Sydney Running Festival 2015: More than 30,000 people participate in the Blackmores Marathon, Blackmores Half Marathon, Blackmores Bridge Run 9km and the Medibank Family Fun Run 3.5km, raising more than $1.2 million for selected charities.
- Sep | Australia-ASEAN Council: Blackmores CEO Christine Holgate is appointed the inaugural chair of the Australia-ASEAN Council.
- Jun | Meet Pawl B More: Blackmores Animal Health introduces Pawl B More, a ‘talking’ Kelpie Cross Border Collie to provide pet parents with trusted advice learn more.
- Jun | Inaugural Asia Symposium: The first Blackmores Institute Asia symposium “Integrating Complementary Medicine into Community Pharmacy – An Evidence-Based Approach” is held in Kuala Lumpur.
- Jun| Production 24/7: Blackmores commences a permanent night shift at its production facility at Warriewood Campus to meet increased stock demands.
- May | Maurice Blackmore Chair of Integrative Medicine: Blackmores proudly announces the establishment of a new term Chair position at the Sydney Medical School at the University of Sydney, in honour of the Blackmores’ founder, Maurice Blackmore.
- Apr | Blackmores in Central Asia: Blackmores expands to Kazakhstan.
- Mar | Be A Wellbeing Campaign: Blackmores launches its highly successful Be a Wellbeing campaign and hosts Blackmores Yoga events around Australia.
- Mar |New Global Brand Ambassador Li Na: Blackmores signs on legendary Chinese tennis champion Li Na as their Global Brand Ambassador to support health and wellbeing activities across Asia and Australia.
- Jan | Online store in China: Blackmores becomes one of the first few global healthcare brands to set up an international online store on Tmall.hk, marking yet another key milestone for our business development in China.
- Advisory Naturopaths Award: The Blackmores Advisory Team is awarded ‘Most Outstanding Industry Contributor of the Year’ by Complementary Medicines Australia for services provided via Blackmores’ free Naturopathic Advisory Service.
- Reader's Digest survey winner: A Reader's Digest survey recognises Blackmores as the most trusted health and supplements brand for the sixth year in a row.
- Associate Prof Lesley Braun joins Blackmores Institute: Noted evidence-based complementary medicine researcher and author, A/Prof Lesley Braun, becomes Director of the Blackmores Institute.
- New headquarters for Blackmores Asia: Our Asia Head Office opens in Singapore, with Blackmores now operating in nine Asian countries.
- Blackmores partners with Michelle Bridges:
Australia’s most influential health and fitness expert, Michelle Bridges accepts role as head coach for the Blackmores Sydney Running Festival, coinciding with the launch of her own range with Blackmores.
- Australian Packaging Covenant recognition:
Blackmores receives an accolade for their high achievement in reducing the environmental impact of their packaging.
Education accreditation: Blackmores is accredited by the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners and the Australian Pharmacy Council to provide professional education on complementary healthcare and is able to award CPD points.
- China and Macau launch: Blackmores commences operations in the new international markets of China and Macau.
- Blackmores honoured by Heart Research Institute: Blackmores is honoured for 20 year support and its role in raising $7M for Heart Research Institute
- Quest for Life partnership: Blackmores and Quest for Life announce a new partnership aimed at better physical, emotional, and mental health for Australian communities.
- Reducing carbon emissions: Conversion of all fleet vehicles to LPG or diesel is completed.
- Sales up 25%: Strong sales of $327 million, up 25% on previous year.
- Production record: The Blackmores production team packages a record 500,499 units in a single week.
- 25 clinical trials and research partnerships: To support the efficacy of our products, Blackmores invests in over 25 clinical trials and partners with leading educational and research institutions.
- Foodbank partnership: In a first for Australia, Blackmores begins donating vitamins and supplements to those in need in collaboration with Foodbank, Australia’s largest hunger relief agency.
- Reader's Digest survey winner: A Reader's Digest survey recognises Blackmores as the most trusted health and supplements brand for the fifth year in a row.
- Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold:
Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold is reformulated especially for mums in Australia, based on the most up-to-date recommended daily intake (RDI) of nutrients for pregnant and breast feeding women as determined by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia (NHMRC) and Australian guidelines.
- Blackmores Institute launch: Blackmores Institute is established as a centre of excellence for knowledge and research.
- BioCeuticals acquisition: Blackmores acquires BioCeuticals, the leading brand of practitioner products in Australia.
- WWF Sustainable Fish Oils Partnership:
Blackmores partners with the global conservation organisation WWF as part of its commitment to achieving the highest possible standard of sustainability for our fish and krill oils.
Blackmores’ Dr Paul Beaumont Research Fellowship:
Blackmores establishes the Blackmores Dr Paul Beaumont Research Fellowship.
- Blackmores Sydney Running Festival 2012: Our iconic sporting event attracts 35,000 participants and raises over $2 million for charity.
- Eco Krill launch: Blackmores launches Eco Krill, the only truly sustainably sourced krill certified by the Marine Stewardship Council which is supported by WWF.
- China product registration: Blackmores registers a range of products for sale in China in preparation for launching in that market.
- Reader's Digest survey winner: A Reader's Digest survey recognises Blackmores as the most trusted health and supplements brand for the fourth year in a row.
- Industry accolades: Blackmores is awarded NSW Business of the Year 2011 and Employer of Choice for NSW 2011
- MD Foundation: Blackmores’ total contribution to the Foundation reaches $3 million.
- South-east Asia success: Blackmores wins the Reader’s Digest Most Trusted Brand award for six years running in Thailand, and the prestigious Superbrands award in Malaysia.
- Operational excellence: Blackmores introduces pre-labelled bar-coding of incoming components which speeds up the receiving process.
- Biggest online health community: Online membership via our website reaches 360,000.
- Reader's Digest survey winner: A Reader's Digest survey recognises Blackmores as the most trusted health and supplements brand for the third year in a row.
- Korea launch: Blackmores enters the South Korea market.
- Animal health business: Blackmores acquires Pure Animal Wellbeing Pty Ltd (PAW) to provide a range of natural pet products.
- Asia growth:
Our Asian business delivers underlying growth of more than 25% across the Group.
- New website launched:
Our new website provides unprecedented health information and interactivity with customers.
- Improved production capacity:
A new line and improved product flow results in an extra 26% production capacity – 82,000 units a day.
- $20,000 for tsunami victims:
Staff raise more than $20,000 to support the Samoan village of one of Blackmores’ valued employees.
- Ask A Naturopath service:
Blackmores’ naturopaths provide advice and support to 57,000 people via our online service and freecall Naturopathic Advisory Service.
- Education and training:
Health information seminars and training are delivered to 10,000 people during the year.
- Blackmores Research Symposium: Blackmores’ third Research Symposium brings together leading international and Australian researchers to explore and present the latest advances in complementary medicine.
- Reader's Digest survey winner:
A Reader's Digest survey recognises Blackmores as the most trusted health and supplements brand for the second year in a row.
- Enterprise agreement:
The New Enterprise Agreement is supported by 96% of staff.
- Blackmores Sydney Running Festival: Our iconic annual event attracts a record 32,000 entrants.
- $200 million in sales: Blackmores achieves $200 million in sales.
- Reader's Digest survey winner: A Reader's Digest survey recognises Blackmores as the most trusted health and supplements brand.
- Charitable support for eye health:
Blackmores begins supporting the MD Foundation of Australia
Blackmores Research Symposium: Blackmores’ second Research Symposium builds on the success of the first, focusing on lifestyle diseases of the 21st century.
- New CEO and MD Christine Holgate: Christine Holgate commences as Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director.
- Online community grows: Blackmores’ online community grows to over 230,000 users.
- Blackmores wins Evolution Award: Blackmores wins second Packaging Magazine Evolution Award in the pharmaceutical category for minimising packaging waste.
- Blackmores Sydney Running Festival: Blackmores Sydney Running Festival has a record 25,200 entrants.
- Blackmores receives awards: Blackmores' strong financial results, leadership and innovation were recognised with a number of awards, including 2007 Best Managed Company in Australia (small cap corporate of the year) by Asia Money Magazine.
- New Collective Agreement:
Blackmores introduces a new Collective Agreement which was supported by an unprecedented 97.5% of staff.
- Taiwan launch:
Blackmores launches a range of 15 products into Watson's stores in Taiwan, marking the Company's first new market entry in a decade.
- Blackmores Research Symposium:
The Company launches the Blackmores Research Symposium.
- ‘B your Best’ launch:
B your Best, a new creative advertising campaign, is launched.
- Ethical Investor Award:
Blackmores receives the Ethical Investor 2006 Sustainable Small Company of the Year Award.
- Blackmores Sydney Running Festival:
Blackmores Sydney Running Festival has over 20,000 participants.
- BRW include Blackmores:
Business Review Weekly included Blackmores as the 15th best-performing company in Australia based on average return on shareholder funds.
- Blackmores Sydney Running Festival:
Blackmores Sydney Running Festival was held with more than 17,600 participants.
- National Packaging Covenant:
Blackmores signs the new National Packaging Covenant, maintaining a commitment to minimise packaging waste.
- Pharmaceutical Packaging Action Evolution Award:
Blackmores receives the inaugural Pharmaceutical Packaging Action Evolution Award.
- Hewitt Best Employer Award:
Blackmores is awarded a Hewitt Best Employer Award.
- Blackmores plans to relocate:
Blackmores completes sale of existing premises at Balgowlah and plans progress to relocate operations from Balgowlah and Brookvale to a new 25,000 square metre site at Warriewood on Sydney's northern beaches.
Blackmores focuses on supplements:
Blackmores absorbs key VitaGlow products into base Blackmores brand, and ceases marketing skin and haircare, to focus on supplements.
- New distributors appointed:
Blackmores appoints new distributors in Singapore and for the practitioner-only business in the United Kingdom.
- Blackmores Sydney Running Festival:
Blackmores Sydney Running Festival attracts 15,000 competitors.
- Relocation plans:
Blackmores commences planning to move to a new site at Warriewood on Sydney's northern beaches.
Database growth: Since the launch of the Blackmores website, the number of online subscribers to the Blackmores free e-newsletter grows to more than 100,000.
- Blackmores Sydney Running Festival: Blackmores gains the naming rights for the Sydney Marathon Festival with over 12,000 competitors.
- Marcus Blackmore becomes Chairman of the Heart Research Institute: Marcus Blackmore becomes Chairman of the Heart Research Institute.
Pan medicine recall: Pan Pharmaceuticals faces largest ever recall of medicines in Australia. The impact on the CM industry was unprecedented. Blackmores, having never used Pan as a manufacturer, experiences a significant sales lift.
Database growth: The subscriber database for Blackmores' online newsletter grows to 13,000.
- Blackmores wins environmental award: Blackmores wins the Gold Energy Smart Green Globe Award.
- Auckland premises sold: The Auckland premises in New Zealand are sold, and despatch and distribution operations are outsourced.
- Lyprinol launch: Blackmores launches Lyprinol, a unique patented green lipped mussel oil that provides symptomatic relief of osteoarthritis.
National Packaging Covenant
Blackmores becomes a signatory to the National Packaging Covenant.
- Computer systems
Blackmores undergoes an extensive computer systems upgrade involving the complete replacement and upgrading of the information platforms and systems.
- Blackmores reaches gold level: Blackmores reaches gold level in the NSW government's Sustainable Energy Development Authority's Energy Smart business program.
- Health supplements increase: The consumer price of health supplements increases by 10% due to the implementation of GST to replace nil wholesale sales tax on these products, and sales go down.
- Reader's Digest survey winner: A Reader's Digest survey recognises Blackmores as the most trusted health and supplements brand.
Blackmores expands into Coles: Blackmores expands distribution into the Coles group of grocery outlets.
- Reader’s Digest survey recognition:
A Reader’s Digest survey votes Blackmores as the most trusted health and supplements brand.
1999 | Blackmores subcontracts skincare: Blackmores subcontracts skincare manufacturing to achieve operational improvements and reduce complexity.
- 1998 | Marcus Blackmore honoured: Marcus Blackmore is awarded an AM in the Queen's Birthday Honours list, a testament to both his personal commitment and the Company's dedication to the industry and the community.
- 1998 | New Zealand operations close:
Blackmores closes the packaging operations in New Zealand.
- 1997 | Shareholder Discount Plan: Blackmores establishes Shareholder Discount Plan for purchase of product at 25% off recommended retail price.
- 1997 | Warehouse and distribution move: Victorian warehouse and distribution is centralised to Brookvale facility in NSW.
- 1996 | Blackmores wins environmental award: In conjunction with Manly Environment Centre and OzGREEN, Blackmores is awarded the NSW Department of Land and Water Conservation's Rivercare 2000 Gold Award for the Kids, Companies and Creeks project.
- 1996 | Blackmores integrates VitaGlow: VitaGlow Pty Limited business operations are fully integrated into Blackmores.
- 1996 | Blackmores launches website: Blackmores launches a website with product and ingredient information.
- 1995 | Staff Enterprise Agreement implemented: Blackmores implements the Blackmores Limited Group Staff Enterprise Agreement.
| Environment Committee formed: Blackmores forms an Environment Committee to ensure the Company stays at the forefront of environmental issues.
- 1995 | US subsidiary closed: Blackmores closes US subsidiary and completes a management buy-out of the UK subsidiary.
- 1995 | Indonesia launch: Blackmores launches in Indonesia.
- 1993 | Blackmores relocates: Blackmores relocates warehouse and distribution facility to cope with expansion.
- 1992 | Sale of Russell’s Natural Food Markets: Blackmores sells Russell's Natural Food Markets.
- 1990 | Skincare range launch: Blackmores launches a skincare range in the United States.
1989 | Thailand launch: Blackmores launches in Thailand.
- 1989 | Three Island Yacht Race: The Blackmores Three Island Yacht Race is established to raise funds for Cure Cancer Australia. By 2007, $7 million has been raised to support cancer research.
- 1989 | New complex opens: The new New Zealand manufacturing, distribution and office complex in Auckland is opened.
- 1989 | Company name change:
The Company's name is changed from Blackmores Laboratories Limited to Blackmores Limited.
- 1988 | Restructure: Healthy Life is restructured from a franchise group to a license/banner group.
- 1988 | Blackmores sponsors Kay Cottee: Blackmores sponsors Kay Cottee to be the first woman in history to sail single-handed, non-stop, unassisted around the world. Blackmores then supported Kay to raise $1 million for Life Education.
- 1987 | Employee share plan: Blackmores’ employee share plan is implemented.
- 1987 | First naturopathic clinic: Blackmores establishes its first naturopathic clinic in Sydney.
- 1987 | Japan launch: Blackmores launches skin and haircare into the Japanese market.
- 1986 | Manufacturing move: The manufacturing of all skin and haircare products was transferred to the Blackmores facility in Balgowlah in NSW facility from the New Zealand facility.
- 1986 | Another acquisition: Blackmores acquires the 55 store Healthy Life retail chain.
- 1986 | Acquisitions: Blackmores acquires Abundant Earth, Biogenic Health Foods and Russell's Natural Food Markets, merged to form the Blackmores Food Division. Blackmores also acquires the independent distributors of Blackmores products in Victoria and Western Australia.
- 1985 | New office and warehouse opened: Blackmores opens a new office and warehousing facility adjoining the existing premises.
May 1985: Blackmores lists on the Australian Stock Exchange
Blackmores lists on the Australian Stock Exchange.
- 1985 | Company name change: The Company changes its name to Blackmores Laboratories Limited and is converted to a public company.
- 1985 | Naturopathic advisory service established: Blackmores establishes its first naturopathic advisory service.
- 1984 | New NZ facility: A new administrative, manufacturing and warehousing facility became operational in Auckland New Zealand.
- 1984 | $10 million in sales: Blackmores achieves $10 million sales.
- 1983 | Blackmores moves: Manufacture of skin and haircare products moves to New Zealand.
- 1982 | Acquisition: Blackmores acquires Vita Glow Pty Limited, a marketer of a range of vitamins and mineral supplements.
- 1980 | Blackmores moves: Blackmores moves into a new office, warehouse and manufacturing facility at Balgowlah.
1979 to 1960
1978 | Blackmores are cruelty-free: Blackmores skin and haircare products include the statement 'No animal has suffered in the creation of this quality product', and are the first Australian company to be cruelty-free.
- 1976 | Singapore and Malaysia launch: Blackmores launches in Singapore and Malaysia
- 1976 | $1 million in sales: Blackmores reaches $1 million in sales.
- 1973 | Marcus joins Board of Directors: Marcus Blackmore joins the Board of Directors in 1973.
- 1972 | Product manufacturing: All products manufactured in accordance with the Code of Good Manufacturing Practice.
- 1962 | Blackmores becomes a private company: Blackmores is incorporated as a private company on 1 February 1962. The Blackmores Naturopathic Organisation Pty Limited was formed and bought the family business.
- 1960s | A family business: Blackmores Laboratories is a family business, with the main activity being the development of 'celloid' mineral therapy through a number of naturopathic clinics based mainly in Queensland.
- 1938 | First health food store: Maurice starts one of Australia's first health food stores in Brisbane in 1938, and works with colleagues and friends to establish the first naturopathic colleges and associations in the country.
- 1930s | Blackmores develops: The Company has its beginnings in the 1930s, thanks to the vision and passion of one man, Maurice Blackmore (1906-1977), who was an English immigrant with ideas about health way ahead of their time.